With Trademark Registration, you can safely establish your brand will protecting it against infringement. However, that protection only lasts for 10 years. Afterwards, you need to think ahead and get trademark renewal.
This blog is your complete guide for trademark renewal.
Trademark Registration: Intellectual Property Right that protects the name of businesses
Over the past few years, business has grown in India at speeds we couldn’t fathom before. Without the intellectual protection that trademark registration provides, such growth wouldn’t be possible. Registering a trademark protects a brand’s identity – making it possible for the business to thrive without worrying about trademark infringement.
However, such protection only lasts for 10 years. If you don’t renew your trademark beyond it, IP department would remove your trademark from its registry.
What is trademark Renewal?
Trademark Renewal is the process to regain the protective shield that trademark registration provides by renewing it for 10 years.
To obtain renewal certificate, you must file the application for it at least six months before the expiration of your registration. Whether you’re a company or an individual, keeping this timeline in mind can be the difference between a renewed and a lost trademark.
Trademark Renewal Process
To renew your trademark protection, you or your company that owns the mark has to file the application via TM-12 within 6 months before the expiration date. Delay in application filing will make the Registrar to remove your name from the trademark registry.
When applying for the renewal process, you must select between the two renewing methods:
- Do you want to renew your trademark registration just as is, or
- Do you want to make changes to your renewed trademark application?
Based on the answers to your above questions, the renewal procedure for trademark contains the following steps:
- Duly fill the online application for renewal TM 12.
- Furnish the required documents that are as follows:
- Old Trademark Registration certificate
- Proof that you’ve used the trademark when you had the registration
- The Registrar will assess your application and if it finds it satisfactory, will issue you the trademark renewal certificate.
In case you want to make changes to the trademark you want to renew, you need to fill the trademark alteration application along with the application for trademark renewal. Read More: Trademark Restoration
- Once you submit the application, the Registrar will assess whether it’s feasible and possible to make changes to the trademark.
- If no brand have been registered with the same trademark, Registrar will give you a green light by notifying you to make the change.
- Make the alterations and fill the application of trademark renewal
- If the application’s assessment results in a positive outcome, you’ll receive your renewal certificate.
Trademark renewal is an essential process that you must follow once your trademark registration reaches its expiry date. If you don’t, the Registrar of the trademark would remove your mark from the registry. To not let this happen, you need to consult with Trademark registration experts and renew your mark on time.
Other Useful Content: Media Gateway In Telecom
This article is the complete guide of trademark renewal. Read it and follow the process. For more details, consult with Registrationwala.