The PST file, which stands for Personal Storage Table, contains a copy of all your Outlook items, including emails, events, contacts, calendar, notes, and reminders. The PST file is saved on the client’s computer. The best thing about a PST file is that you can work on it even if you don’t have access to the internet. Once the internet connection is restored, sync the changes with the mail exchange. User finding the reasons and ways to repair corrupted PST files using MVP’s verified Software for Outllook PST Repair.
However, a PST file can become corrupted for a variety of reasons, resulting in errors such as “PST is not a personal folder file” or “The PST file has become corrupted and requires repair.” Outlook is unable to open various folders as a result, and you are unable to receive or send emails.
Method 1: Use the ScanPST.exe Tool to Repair the PST File
The SCANPST tool should be used first if your PST file is corrupted or inaccessible. This inbox repair tool is designed to quickly and easily fix all minor corruption issues with the Outlook data file (.pst). However, before you begin repairing the corrupted PST files, you should make a backup.
To use the ScanPST tool to fix a PST file, follow these steps:
On your Windows computer, look for the ScanPST tool. Depending on your Outlook version, you can use the ScanPST location listed below.
- Firstly, To begin repairing corrupted PST files, double-click on SCANPST.EXE.
- Secondly, Select the corrupt Outlook PST file you want to repair using the Browse button.
- Thirdly, To begin, press the Start button. The inbox repair software will now begin scanning the PST file for any corruption or errors in the Outlook data file (.pst).
- Select the Make a backup of scanned file before repairing option once the SCANPST tool detects any corruption in the PST file. This will ensure that your corrupt Outlook data file remains safe.
- To begin repairing the corrupted PST file, click the Repair button.
The main disadvantage of using ScanPST is that it must be run multiple times in order to repair corrupted PST files. Furthermore, it is unable to repair a severely corrupted Outlook PST file. In these situations, you can use the DataHelp Repair PST tool.
What should I do After using ScanPST to Repair a PST File?
Open your Microsoft Outlook account after ScanPST has repaired minor Outlook PST file corruption
(If you use multiple profiles, then open Outlook with the repaired PST file). Also, follow the steps to recover emails, contacts, reminders, and other Outlook folders that have been lost or deleted.
Locate the Recovered Personal Folders folder in the Folder List, which is created after the PST file is repaired. Calendar, Contacts, Deleted Items, Inbox, Journal, Notes, Outbox, Sent Items, and Tasks are among the default folders.
If the above-mentioned recovered personal folders are empty, check the Lost and Found folder. It holds all of the items that have been recovered. The recovered Outlook items, however, cannot be restored to their original state. You can solve this problem by creating a new Outlook PST file.
To make a new PST file, follow these steps:
- Navigate to File > Info in Outlook.
- Open account setting.
- Click the Add tab after selecting the Data Files.
- In the File Name field, type the name of the PST file you want to use.
- Click the OK button. This will result in the creation of a new PST file.
Note: Creating a new PST file will assist you in importing the items recovered from the Lost and Found folder to the path you specify. Simply drag the recovered Outlook items from Lost and Found or Recovered Personal Folders to your specified location in your new Outlook PST file. The Lost and Found/Recovered Personal Folders can be deleted later.
What is a Backup (.bak) File and How can it Assist you after a PST File has been Repaired?
A .bak file is a backup file created by the SCANPST tool during the PST file repair process that has the same name as the corrupt.pst file and is located in the same location or folder as the corrupt.pst file but has the .bak extension. You can recover Outlook items that were not recoverable after using the inbox repair tool with the help of this backup file.
Additional Outlook Items Can Be Recovered Using a .bak File
Locate the .bak file in the PST file location or folder. Create a duplicate of the .bak file > Change the extension of the.bak file to.pst (for example, Outlook .bak to Outlook.pst) > Using the Import/Export wizard in Outlook, import the.pst file.
Note: If the severity of the PST file corruption is beyond repair, even this method of recovering Outlook items may not be effective.
Method 2: Using DataHelp PST Repair, How do you Repair a PST File?
Use DataHelp Repair PST, a read-only mode software, to safely repair corrupted or damaged PST files created with any version of Outlook, including Outlook 2019, 2016, and earlier versions. It only takes a few simple clicks for repairing the PST file with this PST file repair tool. It also recovers Outlook items such as emails, attachments, contacts, folder structure, and rules that have been lost.
Steps are given below:-
- Download and install the PST Repair Wizard to recover corrupted PST data.
- To insert the corrupted PST files, click the Add File button.
- The tool now has two scanning modes to choose from Quick Scan and Advanced Scan. Choose accordingly.
- The scanning process now begins. The data in the left panel is highlighted in red, indicating that the software has recovered corrupted PST items. View all of your contacts, notes, tasks, journals, folders, and calendars in one place.
- Once you’ve recovered all of your PST data, you can save it in a variety of formats, including PST, PDF, HTML, EML, and Office 365.
- Next, choose the location where you want the Output file to be saved. Select Export from the drop-down menu.
- The procedure for recovering a corrupt PST file is now complete. Then press the OK button.